Osteoarthritis is a highly prevalent disease which carries a huge economic burden. One in eight Australians suffer from osteoarthritis and two-thirds affected are of working age leading to premature retirement.
The osteoarthritis theme is led by Professor David Hunter. His research is focused on numerous elements of OA including the epidemiology of osteoarthritis, imaging in osteoarthritis, clinical trials, novel therapies in disease management and health services research for chronic disease management.
To view clinical trials that are currently recruiting, please click here.
- Biomarkers in OA
- Knee force project – investigating occupations with excessive knee joint force
- PATHway – participatory health through behavioural engagement and disruptive digital technology for post-operative rehabilitation
- PARTNER – optimising primary care management of knee osteoarthritis
- Excellence study – This study looks at the safety of a new injectable investigational medication and how effective it may be in treating the pain, inflammation and mobility symptoms of osteoarthritis in the knee.
- Joint Action Podcast hosted by Prof. David Hunter: Join David as he interviews the world’s leading experts in osteoarthritis.
- Unnecessary joint replacements
- Everything you ever wanted to know about osteoarthrititis (podcast)
- Osteoarthritis exercise therapies: better outcomes (podcast)
- Annual Florey Public Lecture 2017
General osteoarthritis management
- My Joint Pain – A free online portal designed by Arthritis Australia to promote pain relief strategies and provide in-depth information for a more active and pain-free life.
- Osteoarthritis Healthy Weight for Life – a remotely delivered program provided at no cost to eligible members of most Australian health funds.
- CSIRO Total Well-being Diet – a higher protein, low GI eating plan that is scientifically formulated by Australia’s national science agency, the CSIRO
- Dietitians Association of Australia – recipes and information on healthy eating
- Eat for Health – Australian dietary guidelines, Australian Guide to Healthy Eating resource, food label reading resources and healthy recipes
- Food Switch – empowering consumers to make better food choices by providing simple health information on a scanned product and suggesting healthier alternatives to ‘switch’ to.
Sleep and mood
- ThisWayUp – Sleep – practical online courses are designed to help people identify, understand, and improve sleep
- ThisWayUp – Mood – Practical online courses are designed to help people identify, understand, and improve psychological difficulties.
- Sleepio – an evidence-base digital sleep improvement program, created by a sleep expert.
- PainTrainer – an interactive, online program based on scientific research that teaches you effective strategies to manage your pain.
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee: Clinical Care Standard Consumer Fact Sheet
- 10 Steps for Living Well with Arthritis
Support services and consumer organisations
- Arthritis Australia – arthritis information, patient resources, support services
- Arthritis and Osteoporosis NSW – charitable and membership-based organization that seeks to improve the quality of life of those affected by arthritis, osteoporosis and other musculoskeletal conditions.
- MindSpot Clinic – registered mental health professionals who are passionate about providing a free and effective service to people all over Australia.
- Beyond Blue – provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live.
- Get Healthy NSW – free NSW health service that provides telephone coaching and motivation over six months to reach own healthy lifestyle goals including healthy eating, exercise, healthy weigh and alcohol reduction.
- Heart Foundation – walking community groups , exercise resources, recipes.
Post doctoral fellows
- Mrs Varshini Ravi
- Ms Sarah Capistrano
- Ms Vicky Duong
- Ms Tanya Fedorova
- Ms Karen Schuck
- Ms Sonika Virk
- Ms Vicky Duong
- Dr Kai Fu
- Dr Xiaoqian Liu
- Dr Nicholas Murphy
- Dr Win Min Oo
- Dr Shirley Yu
Support the Institute of Bone and Joint Research
We are dedicated researchers devoted to improving the lives of those suffering from bone and joint disease.
You can make a donation online by clicking here. Donations to the Institute of Bone and Joint Research are tax deductible.